by Chef Natalie Good
Galette Dough (or use store bought pie crust)
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
10 Tablespoons cold butter cut into small cubes
4 Tablespoons ice-cold water
1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
2 apples cored and sliced ¼” thin
1/3 cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon butter cut into small cubes
Candied Cranberry Topping
½ cup cranberries
¼ cup sugar
3 Tablespoons water
1 large egg for egg wash
For the Dough:
1. In a food processor combine the flour and salt. Pulse a few times. Add in cold butter cubes and pulse 8-10 times until butter is broken down into small clumps.
2. Mix the ice-cold water and apple cider vinegar together.
3. Turn your processor on, add 4 tablespoons of ice-cold liquid mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time.
4. Dough ball should begin to form in processor. If it is still dry, add remaining water until ball is formed.
5. Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and form 4” disk. Wrap in plastic.
6. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour before use. Disk should be cold but pliable.
Assembling the Galette:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Core and thinly slice the apples, skin on.
3. Place slices into bowl. Add sugar, spices, and lemon juice. Toss to coat apples.
4. Roll your galette dough on a floured surface into a 12” diameter disk. Leaving a 2-inch space on the edge for folding, start to layer your apples in a circle towards the center.
5. Roll up the dough around the apples, pleating as you go. When finished, dot the top with butter.
6. Brush your galette crust with 1 large egg, lightly whisked. Optionally sprinkle with raw sugar.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until galette is crisp and golden brown.
8. While galette is baking, make cranberry topping. Combine cranberry, sugar, and water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. Cranberry topping will be done when cranberries burst, 1-2 minutes after boiling.
9. When galette is finished baking, spoon cranberries using slotted spoon on top.
10. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.